Specific Bible Studies - Bible Foods - Apple
«Back to Food Studies | Printer Friendly | PDF Download
SUBJECT: Bible Foods - Apple
No biblical food is more famous and none has gotten a worse rap than the apple despite -- the fact that Adam and Eve probably didn't even see an apple, much less munch on one.
The Bible never says exactly what fruit the serpent uses to tempt Eve in the Garden of Eden.
"Apple of the eye" is a Figurative expression for something very valuable, in scriptural view it portrays God's care (Deut 32:10) "He found him in a desert land and in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled He instructed him, He kept him as the Apple of his eye"
God's law (Proverbs 7:2) "Keep my commands and live, and my law as the Apple of your eye."
Apple of the eye is also translated for the God's security for his saints "Keep me as the Apple of your eye; Hide me under the shadow of your wings."(Psalms 17:8)
In Bible the word fitly spoken is also compared as Apple of gold (Proverbs 25:11)"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
But elsewhere in the Bible, the apple gets high marks for its healthful, healing powers that modern science has since confirmed.
The writer of the Song of Solomon praises apples this way: As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons, I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste... Comfort me with apples. (Song of Solomon 2:3)
The Greek who lived during bible times believed the apple healed all ailments. Modern researchers at Michigan State University call the Apple" the all-around health food. Here are some of the potent healing powers of apples:
Nutritionists suggest that treating two or three apples a ay can boost the body's protection against heart disease, thanks to the fruits amazing ability to reduce blood pressure and lower dangerously high cholesterol levels.
- They lower both bad cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- The juices in apples are highly effective virus fighters.
- They help suppress the appetite without robbing the body of necessary nutrients, so they're great for dieters.
- They help stabilize blood sugar, an important factor in controlling diabetes.
- Depending on the need, they prevent constipation or help treat diarrhea.
- They contain chemicals that scientists believe are vital in stopping cancer.
- Apples prevent tooth decay.
- The apple's ability to keep our hearts healthy and pumping has been confirmed by U.S. French and Italian researchers.